Tree Stump Removal Cost & Price Summary
The average cost to remove a tree stump is:
- Typical price range = $60-$350 per stump
- Average cost = $2-$3 per inch of diameter
- Best/cheapest price = $75-$150 (renting, DIY)
After chopping down a tree, the work isn’t completely done: There’s still a stump that needs to be removed. In fact, chopping or sawing down a tree is the easy part. Removing the stump is a whole different story.
Stump removal costs will vary depending on a variety of things, most notably whether you do it yourself or hire a professional. By learning about the costs and prices associated with removing a tree stump, you will avoid unpleasant surprises. Learn more about stump removal prices with our cost guide below.
The average cost to remove a tree stump ranges from $60 to $350 per stump, depending on various factors like size. The average removal cost breaks down to approximately $2 to $3 per diameter of the stump. If you do it yourself, it may only cost you about $75 to $150.
DIY Stump Removal vs Professional Stump Removal
The first decision you need to make is whether to hire someone to remove your tree stump or to do it yourself. On the face of things, it may not seem like there is a huge difference in price between hiring the pros and renting a stump grinder. However, many small but important factors can influence the net amount that it’s going to cost. For example, time is money and that needs to be kept in mind as well. If you’d like the work to be handled quickly and efficiently, you’ll probably find that professional stump removal is worth every penny.
Professional Stump Removal Prices
Nationally, the average price for professional stump removal is around 5, and it generally takes about an hour. Professional companies may charge based on different criteria:
- By Diameter – If you are charged based on the diameter of the stump that needs to be removed, you can expect to pay around - per inch of diameter. Most companies charge a minimum of 0.
- By Total Number of Stumps – Many companies offer price breaks to customers who have more than one stump that needs to be removed. For example, you may be charged 0 to 0 for the first stump and between and for each additional stump.
- Clearing Land – In the event that you need a large expanse of land to be cleared and a huge number of stumps to go along with it, you can expect to pay a flat hourly fee. On average, customers are typically charged around $150 per hour. You may be charged based on the average diameter of the stumps that need to be removed. If the average diameter is 12 inches and you have 200 stumps, 2400 inches need to be cleared. At $2 per inch, you will pay $4, 800.
Factors that May Affect the Cost of a Professional Stump Removal Service
- Stump Diameter – Larger diameters equal higher prices.
- Age of Stump – Older stumps are usually rotted and easier to grind down.
- Soil Condition – Rocky soil may damage equipment, so you may be charged more.
- Type of Tree Stump – Certain types of tree stumps are tougher to grind than others.
- Root System – Stumps with minimal root stumps are cheaper to remove than stumps with extensive root systems.
- Cleanup – If you want the ground-up stump to be removed as well, you will pay more.